Every house has a story – even a doll’s house. This nostalgic story of a doll-house owned by a little girl named Ann, which was built around 1814, gets told in an article found in the St.Nicholas magazine published 1889. The author of the story was a woman named Katherine Pyle.

In 1888 a description of these dolls was given in the St.Nicholas magazine for children. They belonged to a Mrs. L. D. Bradish and had been a gift from her big brother in 1827!

This is no fancy picture. It is taken from a photograph of a real cat with her adopted family of chickens. The lady who made the photograph, and kindly sent it to St.Nicholas, tells this story in an accompanying letter: “The owner of our good-hearted puss raised a great manyContinue Reading

IT will surprise the reader to learn that tying up parcels is so expensive that the busiest storekeepers are endeavoring to do without it as far as possible. Have you noticed how of late years, in the great shopping stores in New York, parcels are no longer fastened with string,Continue Reading